Pilots fly and navigate planes, helicopters, and other types of aircraft. Airline pilots work for particular companies, transferring people and cargo or other things on fixed plans, while commercial pilots operate for companies that offer charter planes, rescue procedures, or aerial photography.
- 1 Salary prospects of pilots
- 2 Salary by Experience
- 3 1. Freshers Salary
- 4 2. Mid-Career Salary
- 5 3. Experienced Pilots’ Salary
- 6 Salary by Airlines
- 7 Lets see what pilots have to say
- 8 Career and Job Prospectus
- 9 What is the workplace where a pilot works?
- 10 Achieving it!
- 11 Demand for Pilots
- 12 Tail Note
Salary prospects of pilots
The commercial pilot salary in India or pilot salary in India is anywhere between Rs. 300,000 to Rs 800,000 per month. The amount of salary a pilot earns depends on the employer by whom he/ she is hired. Another basis for valuation of salary of pilot in India is the experience.
- The perks which come along with this career and what draws people to this profession is that it enables them to see places that they may not otherwise be able to afford.
- Also, many airlines provide the family members of pilots a cheaper or even a free travel.
- This means that they can enjoy flying a plane and visit new places alongside family.
- Pilots have generally good reputation and are well respected in the society. They are also paid fairly well.
Salary by Experience
If a pilot has a flying experience of 250 hours in India, they can work as a commercial pilot. The salary of commercial pilots is tremendous in India.
1. Freshers Salary
- A fresher can earn INR 1.50 Lakhs per month. After gaining professional experience, the pilot’s salary can reach up to INR 5 Lakhs to INR 6 Lakhs per month on a national route in India.
- A commercial pilot with less than a year’s experience can earn an average total of remuneration, including tips, overtime pay, and a bonus of INR 15.26 Lakhs in India.
- A commercial pilot who has 1-4 years of experience can earn an average total remuneration of INR 16.09 Lakhs.
2. Mid-Career Salary
- A commercial pilot who is in his mid-career with 5-9 years of fly experience can earn an average total remuneration of INR 24.48 Lakhs.
- In your mid-career, the salary can reach up to INR 20 Lakhs, and in the late stages, it can even go up to INR 90 Lakhs.
3. Experienced Pilots’ Salary
- An experienced professional commercial pilot with 10-19 years of experience can earn an average total remuneration of INR 15.26 Lakhs.
- In their late-career and around retirement period (20 years and higher), commercial pilots can earn an average total remuneration of INR 70 Lakhs.
Salary by Airlines
1. PAY SCALE OF PILOTS OF AIR INDIA
The salary paid to an entry level pilot can be maximum up to Rs. 1,50,000 per month. On the other hand, senior pilots earn up to 5,00,000 per month.
- Cargo International/ Domestic-
- Captain/ Pilot In Command – Rs 300,000 to 600,000
- First officer/ Co-pilot – Rs.175,000 to 400,000
- Second officer/ Flight engineer- Rs. 80,000 to 200,000
- Courier Flight –
- Captain/ Pilot In Command – Rs 200,000 to 325,000
- First officer/ Co-pilot – Rs.90,000 to 150,000
Note: Pilots and other employees working around the Maharashtra side generally receive 23% higher pay while employees working around Kolkata, Hyderabad, and Chennai receive lesser pay.
2. PAY SCALE OF INDIGO
Following is the gross pay structure of Pilot with Indigo per month from the beginning of his/her career.
- Junior First Officer – 8 Months – INR 1,06,250 – 70 Hours Flying
- First Officer – 24 Months – INR 2,41,250 – 70 Hours Flying
- Senior First Officer – 24 Months – INR 3,75,250 – 70 Hours Flying.
- After close to 5 Years you are promoted as a Captain of Indigo and released from your contract of a minimum of 5 Years service to Indigo which you would have entered into at the end of your cadet training and at the beginning of your career. But they now ask you to sign another contract for 3 years when you are made Captain.
- Captain – INR 6,01,250 – 70 Hours Flying
And with increase in your number of flying hours, your pay also increases as per the overtime pay structure. These hours do not include Ground Duty Time nor the time in between flights(You are not paid for it)!
3. PAY SCALE OF SPICEJET
SpiceJet has over 500 pilots. “Pilots from other airlines can come to us,” said a senior official few days back. While a co-pilot and captain’s monthly package is in the range of Rs 2-2.5 lakh and Rs 5-9 lakh respectively, this amount will go up by a lakh now.
Lets see what pilots have to say
Commercial pilots receive a healthy set of benefits apart from the salary; they receive life, health, vision, and dental insurance. Pilots get paid vacation, and duration increases with the years of service.
“While in overall terms, the salary may not seem too high compared to what pilots earn in India. But TAX FREE makes it really big for us.”
Once an Indian Commander stated “No one is going to wait for a year if they want to hire us.” This quote shows how highly rated Indian pilots are.
Indian Airlines have to struggle to prevent their experienced pilots being poached by gulf countries.
Career and Job Prospectus
Pilot career is one of the finest, exciting & most rewarding career all over the globe. There have always been a bright future for pilots to fly in India. The air fly traffic in India is increasing day by day. If you want to become a pilot there are few things you need to know.
Aviation is a dynamic field. It is mainly dependent on the crude oil price.Right now the crude oil price is low about 50-60 Usd per barrel.
What does a Pilot do?
Pilots fly helicopters, commercial aircraft, biplanes, bombers, rescue planes, jets and cargo planes.
Pilot may be responsible for transporting commercial products, civilians, private goods, members of the military or other types of cargo.
Before departing and having a fly up high in the skies, they study the weather condition, check aircraft is airworthy, make sure fuel & cargo are safely loaded and confirm flight plans and navigational route.
Pilots are responsible for the safety of all crew and passengers on board during the flight.
In the private sector, they typically fly smaller planes such as light aircraft or jets.
Most of the time, pilot is carefully checking sophisticated computer-controlled programmed navigational and communications systems.
They keep in touch with the air traffic control and must be ready to deal with unexpected changes in weather and other conditions.
What is the workplace where a pilot works?
Pilot is employed by the commercial airlines and governments aviation departments. As a Pilot, you can also work as an individual in private sectors.
You can also make your career in the military. Military pilots transport military personnel, soldiers, equipment, or goods for the government.
They are employed as test pilots & evaluate new and experimental aircraft prototypes.
Commercial Pilots are also employed by businessmen or celebrities.
In airlines sector, the job growth is comparatively better. The population growth & economic give fly boost to the airline sector.
If some pilots have an enough experience in the industry, they may eventually decide to establish or work in an aviation school.
To become a pilot, you can get direct admission in top pilot training institution. But you have to qualify the entrance exam & must be physically fit as per the standards of the aviation induatry.
Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) conducts a national level entrance test every year, which is known as IGRUA Entrance Test.
To get training in a private institution, you have to pay fees of Rs. 15 to 20 lakh approx. The fee will be less or more on the basis of what type of license you need.
I want to join Air Force as a Pilot what should I do?
You have to qualify the NDA Entrance Exam 2021, AFCAT Exam and CDS Exam to join Indian Air force. After qualify these examination you have to undergo SSB process and after Physical and Medical test you will be given a training of 31/2 years. After the training period you will serving as a Pilot in Indian Air Force or Navy/Army.
Demand for Pilots
India is estimated to have nearly 8,000 pilots for over 650 commercial aircraft fleet. The growth rate of the commercial aircraft fleet has also led to an increase in the demand for over 28,000 pilots over the next two decades.
But there is an existing crunch too, which has attracted 400 expats for the job. While Tata Vistara hired eight expat pilots, Indigo and Go Air have as many as 239 and 64 of them, respectively.
So, there’s a huge demand for pilots.
I hope this is enough to give you a clear idea about the Indian Pilots Salary.
The average salary of pilots in India is INR 16,42,437 per annum. The average salary of pilots may range around INR 1.21 Lakhs per annum to INR 90 Lakhs per annum. The bonus ranges around INR 10,000 to INR 9.86 Lakhs per annum.
If a pilot is employed in the Indian Army and Indian Navy, then he/she can earn between INR 5 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs per annum.
Stay tuned with us for more such informative blogs just on a click. Don’t forget to subscribe to get the latest updates.